The first recorded baby shower in the world, perhaps, was when the Magi brought to Joseph and Mary, and their new baby, Jesus, three amazing gifts from their traveling treasure chests.
What? No gift card for Baby Gap? No.
- Gold cannot be canceled and is the standard for all worth. Just as Jesus is.
- Gold never tarnishes, never rusts, never becomes corrupt in any way. Again, like Jesus.
- Gold is the decoration of kings, the drapery of kings, a symbol of kings. Which is what Jesus is: King of Kings.
No Lysol Spray? No.
Something much nicer and much more meaningful.
- The aged sap of the boswelia bush, obtained by beating and cutting it, frankincense was considered as precious as gold. Okay, so Jesus is more precious.
- Frankincense was both appealing and purifying. As is Jesus.
- Priests burned frankincense to mingle with prayer. Jesus is our High Priest and ever lives to pray for us.
No. Something much more foretelling.
- Myrrh was a valuable resource from the Middle East, a fitting gift for such an extraordinary birth as Jesus’.
- Myrrh was a healer and lifted pain. It was offered to Jesus in a drink during His crucifixion.
- Myrrh speaks of death and was combined with aloes inside Jesus’ burial shroud.
- It’s bitter properties also foretold the rejection Jesus would face.
How could these three wise men have known their gifts were perfect?
Probably the same way they knew when and where to find the Babe.
They paid attention to the things of God.
Image via Wikipedia