Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch-2

Launch of another winter scene, here:

launch of frosted bush

Launch of Frosted Bush

As you can see from the surrounding area, this is not snow, but hoarfrost.

So beautiful.

And the bush is a perilla that grew from seeds I threw away.

Joke’s on me.

And the bush smells wonderfully lovely, like licorice,Β at all times, even when it is dried up for fall/winter.

20 thoughts on “Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch-2

• katharinetrauger says:

Hello, Claudia! No, it’s been quite mild, here, jacket weather for us. These shots were taken in the past. πŸ™‚
      How are things in your warm world?
      Thanks for stopping by and for commenting! Give “Kanga” a hug from me. πŸ˜€

1. iamnotshe says:

Your pic is awesome, love!! I love the fact that you speak about the scent of your Photo Op! Makes me feel like i’m there. I love frost on most everything! It’s delicate and sparkly. It’s there, then it’s gone. BUT it comes back, often. Love it!!! xoxoox melis

• katharinetrauger says:

Oh, I love it, too, but we do not get much winter weather down here, and believe it or not, I had never seen hoarfrost before, did not even know what to call it! I could not believe the beauty of the world I was walking through, hence all these photos. πŸ™‚ They are really amazing as a slide show on my laptop!!!
      And the scent is always there. You just have to rub on the branch a bit, maybe like you are collecting seeds, and the wonderful aroma spreads everywhere. Love it!

• katharinetrauger says:

Ha! Me too! πŸ˜€

Perilla is also gorgeous in summer, looking like expensive variegated coleus, only very heat tolerant. And fragrant. People eat the leaves in salads, a curious addition of the licorice taste.

2. Kate Kresse says:

Wow! I never would have thought that it would end up looking like coleous. I was wondering if it is edible. Do people use it like anise or licorice root in baking, sauces, etc? I have to say I have been delving into your recipes and canning guidance. It sounds satisfying and a bit challenging. Can I convince you to come for an extended stay in AZ and bring your pressure cooker so I can learn at your side?? [just a BIT co-dependent learning new skills πŸ™‚ ]

• katharinetrauger says:

Yes. We are still figuring the mileage, here, but I found a pressure canner at a used place that looks quite promising! πŸ™‚ Will keep you “posted” Ha! (Love that worn out phrase, now!)
      You have been delving into my posts, btw, I’ve NOTICED! πŸ™‚ and thanks!
      I think perilla would work in baking but it loses its beauty when heated, looking more like spinach than anything else. It’s a bit on wild side, taste-wise, too. A quiche with perilla might be wonderful, though, rather Italian in my imagination. Will have to try maybe some scrambled eggs, just to give it a maiden voyage, or something. πŸ™‚
      Thanks for the idea!

• Kate Kresse says:

LOL keeping you posted has such deep meaning now! I am looking for the elusive pressure canner here, too! I would assume that would be better than shipping one—BUT maybe you could carry it on board and fly on over here….the weather is scrumptious this time of year out here —sunny, sunny, sunny ❀

• Kate Kresse says:

Of course it could happen. I hope that it does! But until God directs I must set my human impatience aside. At least we have this, my friend… and that is more than we had before we found each other and our blogs :-). Let’s see what the upcoming months bring. It is so lovely to hope for it,isn’t it?

3. Debby says:

Somewhere I’ve heard the word hoarfrost but had no idea what it was or looked like. Now I do πŸ™‚ Seeds you’d thrown away, huh? There’s a parable there πŸ˜‰

Comment! Because we want to know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s